Sometimes, there is nothing like the real thing, and what I want the most, in no certain order, is as follows:
1. A Hamburger: If there is one thing Germany doesn’t offer in abundance it is hamburgers…or red meat in general. I have had red meat three times since I have been here in Germany – the first was at Johnny Rockets, which is located on Ramstein AFB, and the second was at a friend’s house – where we grilled steaks after having a discussion at work about how much we were craving a little beef. The third was in a Shepherd’s Pie in Ireland. Now, if I could really choose – I would have a Blue Cheese Burger from Crystal Beer Parlor in Savannah…but there are plenty of great options in Michigan, of course – so I’m not worried. I just really, really can’t wait for a good, juicy burger!
** Bear with me, please – the first few items on this list are going to pretty much be food-oriented. I don’t need any beer when I go home – I rarely drink when I am at home anyway, and I am still not sure what a Miller Lite is going to taste like after all of the deliciousness here. I also don’t want to see any “wurst” or sausage of any kind. Like the beer, I get plenty here…and it is awesome. Add pizza to that list as well – I’m hoping it’s not true but I am worried that the pizza here has ruined me for life. It’s incredible cheap and is amazing. The ingredients are fresh and it is all very, very good. So, back to the list…**
2. My Mom’s Potato Soup: I’ve already put in a request to my mom for her potato soup. It is so good and I can’t wait for some of its home-cooked goodness!
3. Hot wings: I have no idea why, but I have been craving some good chicken wings. Of course, chicken is something you can easily find over here – but you aren’t really going to find chicken wings and if you do, chances are, they aren’t going to be very good. (Bonus here – I’m training for the Rome Marathon, so at least I plan on running while consuming these delicious, but heart-attack inducing foods!)
4. A Slurpee: There is a 7-11 halfway between my mom’s house and my brother’s house. I can’t wait to be mixing the 8 yummy flavors, and the fact that is will be about a high of 8 degrees outside doesn’t deter me one bit!
5. A Margarita: Frozen strawberry to be more specific. There are no margaritas here. Well, actually, there are margaritas here but they are a sad imitation of the real thing…or at least what I have come to expect of a margarita! I don’t care if I have to go to Chili’s (which, if they still have the 2-for-1 deal, won’t be a bad idea)…but I want a good, yummy margarita. And preferably one that isn’t 8 ounces but costs 12E.
6. Chinese Food: I want sesame chicken and rice. I want egg rolls – and I want it yummy and cheap. There are a handful of Thai places (not Chinese – and crazy pricey), and I’m pretty sure I could find some Chinese if I looked hard enough but I haven’t. I’m holding out!
**Ok – we have now officially moved past the food portion of this list. Continuing on now.**
7. Shopping: I love the malls here in Germany – they are clean and bright and with the exception of H&M, they are expensive! Not to mention – the skinny jean epidemic is alive and well here and Germany, while the flare and bootcut options are pretty much extinct. I need a GAP, or a Banana Republic, or a Loft store ASAP. Thankfully, the Tanger Outlets are fairly close to my mom’s house so I can get a couple of much-needed pair of jeans, some cold-weather running clothes and a sweater or two.
8. A Hair Cut with Highlights: I haven’t had a haircut since January, and the one time I got my highlights done here – it cost an obscene amount of money…which is saying something considering how ridiculously high the prices are in the States. The cost here? More than the two combined and then some. But the color by box option is getting old – and it’s a good thing I don’t know what split ends look like because there is a good chance my that’s the only kind of ends I have.
9. A Pure Barre class: I completely miss Pure Barre…and in an ironic twist, there is no Pure Barre studio close to where I will be, even though the owner who actually started the fitness class was living a town over from where I will be when she created it!! Luckily, I checked and there is a fitness studio close that offers a barre-like workout. I say, close enough!
10. Most importantly, I can’t wait to spend some good quality time with my hubby and family! I haven’t seen my nieces and nephews (or the rest of my family) since last Christmas (with the exception, of course, for FaceTime – which is a great in the interim and I am very thankful for it!), it’s been four months since I have seen my mom since she visited at the end of August and it has been three long months since I have seen my husband – all of whom I have missed terribly! Traveling around isn’t the same without John and I miss all the hugs from the little ones! I can’t wait for the two weeks break with them – it’s without a doubt going to be the highlight!!
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that these next few days goes by quickly – even though my “to-do” list is a mile-long! I have to pick up a few additional presents, clean, do laundry and get through one more day of work! But what’s waiting for me at home makes this present wait somewhat bearable. Especially the thought of the hamburger! 😉